Chartwells announces different hours, prices, new food selections

Photo credit/ Kelsey Van Horn

Bethany Wade, Photography Editor

There are more changes coming to all three dining locations on campus.

Chartwells is changing the hours and prices at Nazareth Dining Hall as well as the food selection at the Learning Commons Cafe, according to emails from Director of Dining Services Jon Barzensky and Vice President for Enrollment Services and Student Success Ann Boland-Chase.

Barzensky announced changes to the main dining hall for the upcoming semester in a memo emailed to the community on Aug. 9. These changes are in addition to the changes announced at the end of the spring 2017 semester, which include credit card options for students and limitations to the number of meal swipes used at the Atrium and Learning Commons Cafe. Boland-Chase emailed students more information about these changes on Aug. 26.

At Nazareth Dining Hall, the prices for students and guests without meal plans are decreasing and will vary by newly created “meal zones” or mealtimes. Breakfast will cost $10, lunch and brunch will cost $11 and dinner will cost $12. The late nite meal zone will be priced based on items ordered.

Take-out at Nazareth is still an option for students, but a reusable to-go box must be purchased for $6, according to Barzensky. Cash, credit, Pacer Points or a meal swipe may be used to purchase the container.

According to Barzensky’s email, Chartwells enacted these changes after the round table discussions held last fall where students vocalized concerns about their dining options.

“The a la carte/guest door price to enter the Nazareth Student Center dining hall was identified as an opportunity for improvement,” said Barzensky in the email to the campus community.

However, the faculty and staff door price is increasing from $5 to $6.

To temper this increase, Chartwells created a faculty and staff meal plan that will offer 20 meal swipes at Nazareth Dining Hall for $100. This plan will preserve the $5 per meal price for those who purchase it.

According to Barzensky, the change in prices “provide a better value to our guests.”

The hours of operation for Nazareth Hall are also extended, adding in time for breakfast and late night.
In the past, Nazareth did not serve breakfast and was closed between 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. This year, Nazareth Dining Hall is operating from 7:30 a.m. until 11 p.m. on weekdays.

Below is a breakdown of the new meal zones in the dining hall:

• Breakfast (weekdays): 7:30 a.m until 11:00 a.m.
  • Lunch (weekdays)/Brunch (weekends): 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
  • Dinner: 4:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
  • Late Nite: 8:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m.

The new hours and rates took effect on Aug. 23.

In addition to these changes, Chartwells limited the food selection at the Learning Commons Cafe.
According to Boland-Chases’s email, the Cafe will now offer pre-made sandwiches and salads instead of made-to-order products. Breakfast sandwiches and the full menu of drinks will still be available.

According to Boland-Chase, these changes were made to “keep pace with student demand for faster service.”
There will be no changes to the Atrium’s menu.

For those with a meal plan, a meal equivalency limit has been placed at the Atrium and the Learning Commons Cafe. Students may only use up to five meal swipes per week at these locations and must use the rest of their meal swipes at Nazareth Dining Hall. Any use over that amount requires the use of Pacer Points.

These changes also took effect on Aug. 23.

Twitter: @BethanyWadeTWW