2024 Marywood Pacers Baseball Preview

Photo credit/ Jason Ardan
The wait for Pacers Baseball is over.

After a 22-15 record in the 2022 season, the Pacers had high expectations for the 2023 campaign. Unfortunately, Marywood regressed, finishing 15-23 with only four Atlantic East Conference victories. After the month of March, Marywood only clinched six wins. The Pacers corps returns with minimal losses to their roster, more experienced and with a chip on their shoulder, after they were voted last in the Atlantic East Conference preseason rankings.

Offensively, Marywood ranked within the bottom three in nearly every category. The Pacers lacked pop, only finishing with 59 doubles and seven home runs. They are going to look for the likes of junior Max Slusser, senior Joseph Bruno and graduate student Vinny D’Auria to be driving forces to raise the power numbers. Reigning AEC Rookie of the Year Christian Michak will look to build off his stellar first season, one which saw him break the Pacers’ single season stolen base record. Junior catcher AJ Giannetti saw a boost in playing time last season and it paid off for the Pacers’ as all of his offensive categories increased, while being a workhorse, starting 26 games behind the dish. A Pacer looking to build off his hot finish to last season is shortstop Adam Ginsberg, who hit for a .345 average, four doubles and nine RBIs, while swiping seven bases.

Defensively, the Pacers will look to clean up their Atlantic East leading 77 errors. Michak and Ginsberg led the Pacers in errors, but with Michak making a position change and both having their first collegiate seasons under their belt, their mistakes will be minimized. Freshmen infielders Cameron Kohut and Nick Ruiz are two new pieces who are expected to play a big role for the Pacers this season, both offensively and defensively.

As for the pitching staff, they were efficient at limiting the long ball, only surrendering seven in 2023, best in the conference. However, the team’s ERA sat at 6.27, over one and a half runs higher than their mark in 2022. The starting rotation is headlined by seniors Nick Notari and Michael Aronica and sophomore Max Ryan. Notari was the ace of the staff, leading Marywood in innings pitched and strikeouts. Aronica had a rough start before he punched out 10 in six stellar innings against Cabrini University. Unfortunately for Aronica, he would miss the remainder of the season with an injury, but is healthy and ready to go for 2024. As a freshman Ryan was excellent, dealing in the majority of his outings.

As for the bullpen, Marywood will turn to seniors Matthew Klipple and Danny Becker to do work late in games. The trio of sophomore righties Aidan Dolan, Daniel Tiedemann and John Downey will be turned to as key arms to keep Marywood in games. Marywood allowed 10 or more runs in 13 games last season, so pitching will be a primary focus.

The Pacers kick their season off on Sunday, traveling to Penn State Brandywine. The Pacers had a late game collapse against Brandywine last season, allowing 11 runs in the final three frames, losing 14-6. Marywood will get two shots at them, as they are set to meet again on March 19. The Pacers first Atlantic East series is against the reigning conference champions Immaculata University. Marywood was swept in the series, only mustering three runs across the three games.

All stats are from MarywoodPacers.com and AtlanticEast.com as of Feb 12.