MLB Division Previews: NL West

Photo credit/ Sabrina Resuta, Vincent Goldschmidt

Los Angeles Dodgers
The Dodgers have been one of the most polarizing teams since 2013, winning all but one NL West title, three NL pennants and winning the 2020 World Series. However, many fans, players and people in management know that Los Angeles should have more than one World Series to show for their reign.

In hopes of clinching more, Los Angeles went buck wild in the offseason, putting together a team more fitting to be the Avengers than an MLB roster. The Dodgers started by bringing in the best player in baseball, reigning AL MVP Shohei Ohtani, signing him to a record-shattering $700 million contract. However, Los Angeles made an agreement with Ohtani to defer $680 million of the contract to 2034 to 2043. With the extra money in their budget, Los Angeles signed Japanese ace Yoshinobu Yamamoto and slugger Teoscar Hernández. The Dodgers scored righty flamethrower Tyler Glasnow from the Rays, as well as signing reliever Ryan Brasier to strengthen the pitching staff. The Dodgers were able to reunite with a pair of key Dodgers, future Hall of Fame pitcher Clayton Kershaw and utilityman Kiké Hernández.

As for the team they already had, the lineup is still stacked. NL MVP runner up Mookie Betts has his best offensive season since his 2018 AL MVP year. First baseman Freddie Freeman finished just behind Betts in voting, falling just short of breaking the record for most doubles in a single season. Backstop Will Smith produced his first All-Star season, third baseman Max Muncy set a career best 105 RBIs, while launching 36 home runs. Gavin Lux returns to the lineup, after suffering a devastating knee injury in Spring Training last year. Los Angeles will get to see if centerfielder James Outman can take another step forward after a stellar rookie season.

The Dodgers are easily one of the favorites to win their second World Series in five years. They will dominate the regular season, but it remains to be seen if they can finish the job.

Arizona Diamondbacks
Arizona made their first postseason appearance since 2017, which was a great step forward after three straight seasons towards the bottom of the league. The Diamondbacks weren’t finished, making a miraculous run to the World Series, knocking off the Brewers, Dodgers and Phillies en route to their second NL pennant in franchise history.

Returning to the lineup is reigning NL Rookie of the Year Corbin Carroll, who proved to be a true five-tool athlete. Second baseman Ketel Marte was a primary reason why Arizona had so much playoff success, winning NLCS MVP. First baseman Christian Walker continues to quietly be one of the best first baseman in baseball, being the main power source for the lineup, while providing Gold Glove defense. Left Fielder Lourdes Gurriel Jr. had the best power numbers of his career in his lone season in the desert. Catcher Gabriel Moreno was a defensive whiz for the D-Backs behind the dish. Off-season acquisitions Joc Pederson and Eugenio Suárez look to pack a punch in the middle of the lineup. Jordan Lawlar, MLB’s 11th best prospect, is looking to have his success from the minors translate to the bigs.

As for the rotation, Zac Gallen and Merrill Kelly provided the excellence that has come to be expected from them. Righty Brandon Pfaadt was lackluster during the regular season, before an excellent postseason run, which saw him silence Philadelphia’s offense twice, has given Arizona another reliable arm. Arizona added lefty Eduardo Rodriguez, who set career bests in ERA, ERA+ and WHIP. As for the bullpen, the setup and closing arms remain the same, with Ryan Thompson, Kevin Ginkel and Paul Sewald looking to repeat their offensive muffling dominance.

Arizona has had that taste of playoff success and aren’t ready to settle for one year of success. They are looking to finish the job this season.

San Diego Padres
After making a NLCS run in 2022, San Diego entered 2023 with high hopes. Instead, the Padres disappointed, winning just 82 games, despite having the third highest payroll. With three key players from last year’s team having departed, San Diego will have lower expectations for this season.

After missing 2023 due to injury and suspensions for PEDs, Fernando Tatis Jr. was moved to the outfield and thrived, winning a Gold Glove and reminding the MLB that he is still one of the best young players in the league. Xander Bogaerts, in his first season in San Diego, saw his offensive numbers have a slight dip and will have a new challenge for 2024: serving as San Diego’s everyday second baseman. Manny Machado continued to be a top five third baseman and will be a key piece both offensively and defensively. Ha-Seong Kim produced his best season in the MLB in 2023, and will look to continue to take another step forward. First baseman Jake Cronenworth will look to bounce back, seeing his numbers dip in 2023 after back-to-back All-Star seasons. Shortstop prospect Jackson Merrill is expected to be called up this season and would pack a punch for the Padres’ lineup

As for the pitching staff, San Diego will have a much different look, after closer Josh Hader and starters Blake Snell, Michael Wacha and Seth Lugo all having left. Atop the rotation will remain Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove will look to remain healthy in 2024. The rest of the staff is built of players acquired in the Juan Soto trade, such as Michael King, Johny Brito and Randy Vásquez, as well as young, unproven arms that San Diego has. That backend of the bullpen, looking to replace Hader is Robert Suarez, Yuki Matsui and Wandy Peralta.

Though San Diego might have lower expectations, this is a team that can shock a lot of people if they write them off.

San Francisco Giants
Apart from their outlier 2021 season, the Giants have been an average team over the last five years. 2024 seems to be another year of being in the middle of the pack.

Center Fielder Jung Hoo Lee was the Giants’ big score in the offseason and after seven excellent seasons in the KBO will look for his solid hit tool to translate to the MLB. San Fran also landed Jorge Soler, who produced his first All-Star season of his career, while hitting his most amount of home runs since 2019. Catcher Patrick Bailey and shortstop Marco Luciano will be two pieces that the Giants will rely on offensively, despite their young age.

As for the rotation, Logan Webb has been one of baseball’s most reliable pitchers over the last three years. Giants’ top prospect Kyle Harrison will look to provide solid innings at the big league level in 2024. Lifetime reliever Jordan Hicks will have to make an adjustment, as San Fran looks to utilize him as a starter, especially with Alex Cobb and Robbie Ray expected to begin the season on the injured list. The bullpen will rely on flamethrower Camilo Doval and the Rogers twins, Tyler and Taylor.

Though San Francisco doesn’t project to be a top team, their 2021 season is a recent example of why to never count any team out.

Colorado Rockies
The Rockies have been woeful over the last five seasons, failing to exceed more than 75 wins in each of the last five seasons. This year, it is hard to see Colorado eclipsing that number.

Since joining the club in 2022, Kris Bryant has been plagued with injuries, but enters spring training in good condition. After a Gold Glove season, Brendan Rodgers missed a majority of 2023, looking to return to form. Ezequiel Tovar will look to take a step forward offensively after a great defensive season in 2023. Lifelong Rockie Charlie Blackmon was productive offensively, albeit in 96 games. Ryan McMahon will continue to be the primary power source in Rockies’ lineup, looking to produce his fourth consecutive 20-plus home run season, fifth if you exclude the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

There is very little to be excited about for Colorado’s pitching staff, with nearly every starting pitching option having a near five ERA last season, if not worse. The bullpen doesn’t look to be much better, with Justin Lawrence being the only truly reliable arm.

You can never truly rule a team out before the season starts. However, it’s safe to say that Colorado will be a team that gets written off early in the season.

All stats from Baseball Reference as of Feb. 27 2024.