MLB Division Previews: AL East

Photo credit/ Sabrina Resuta, Vincent Goldschmidt

New York Yankees
Last season, New York missed the playoffs for the first time since 2016. New York was active this offseason, making two huge trades and making a big signing for their rotation, showing that the Yankees are not planning on missing the playoffs in consecutive years.

Coming off his 2022 MVP which saw him break the single season AL home run record, Aaron Judge had another great season, earning his third straight All-Star nod and launching 37 home runs despite missing over 50 games. The first of the two trades the Yankees made scored them Alex Verdugo, who produced his third consecutive season of 30-plus doubles. The second trade landed Juan Soto in the Bronx, after arguably his best season, which saw him play all 162, popping a career best 35 home runs, driving in 109 runs, while leading all of baseball in walks drawn, which led to another All-Star nomination and Silver Slugger award. Second baseman Gleyber Torres enters 2024 looking to continue his offensive success from last season, one which yielded his highest batting average since 2019, while setting a career best in hits with 163. New York hopes Anthony Rizzo and Giancarlo Stanton can bounce back after injury plagued, unsuccessful seasons. Second year shortstop Anthony Volpe was excellent defensively, winning his first Gold Glove, though New York hopes he can find consistency at the plate.

New York’s starting rotation might be the deepest it has been in years. Gerrit Cole, the reigning AL Cy Young winner is expected to miss time with an elbow injury. Looking to rebound from an injury riddled first season in New York is Carlos Rodón, who was a back to back All-Star before last season. Similarly to Rodón, Nestor Cortes missed a large chunk of last season due to injury and is primed to return to his All-Star caliber form he showed in 2022. Joining the rotation this offseason was Marcus Stroman, who is coming off an All-Star season with the Cubs. The late game work will go to Clay Holmes, Jonathan Loáisiga and Tommy Kahnle, all of whom were elite last season.

The biggest key for the Yankees is staying on the field. If New York is healthy, there aren’t many teams better.

Baltimore Orioles
In a two year span, Baltimore went from a 52-win team to winning 101 games and the AL East for the first time since 2014. Baltimore is the new dynasty in baseball.

Reigning AL Rookie of the Year Gunnar Henderson will again be a focal point in the Orioles’ lineup. Catcher Adley Rutschman is quickly becoming one of the best backstops in the sport, coming off a year which saw him become an All-Star and Silver Slugger winner for the first time. Anthony Santader brings waves of power for Baltimore, ripping 41 doubles, 28 home runs and 95 RBIs last year. Ryan Mountcastle missed a chunk of last year, but was still productive when he was active. Center Fielder Cedric Mullins hasn’t been able to recreate his production from 2021, but has still been a quality piece for the O’s. Baltimore has built one of the best farm systems in the sport and many of their prospects are projecting to be in the lineup this season, including Heston Kjerstad, Colton Cowser, Coby Mayo and Jackson Holliday, the 2022 first overall pick and baseball’s top prospect, who played across four levels last season, finding success at every challenge thrown his way.

Baltimore’s big splash in the offseason was trading for 2021 NL Cy Young Corbin Burnes to become their new ace. Breakout starter Kyle Bradish is projected to start the season on the IL, but will be a key contributor for the rotation. Second year righty Grayson Rodriguez had a tale of two halves, having an ERA north of seven in the first half, before being untouchable in the second half. Tyler Wells, John Means and Dean Kremer are all arms who will be contributors in the rotation. With usual closer Félix Bautista projecting to be sidelined for the season, the Orioles signed future hall of fame closer Craig Kimbrel, who is coming off an All-Star campaign in Philadelphia.

Baltimore is at the beginning of its dynasty. It seems with the core players from last season that it’s only up for the Orioles.

Toronto Blue Jays
The Blue Jays have been a Wild Card team in three of the last four seasons, just missing a Wild Card spot in 2021. Toronto will be in the mix in the AL Wild Card, as well as the AL East yet again.

Despite his numbers having dipped since his 2021 AL MVP runner up season, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is still one of the most feared hitters in today’s game. Bo Bichette finished in the top 10 in batting average in 2023 and has become a hit machine for Toronto. Right Fielder George Springer produced his first 20 home run, 20 steal season last year. Kevin Kiermaier remains in centerfield, bringing his elite defensive prowess, while also producing one of his better offensive seasons in 2023. Daulton Varsho, Cavan Biggio and Alejandro Kirk are all looking to recover after poor seasons. Justin Turner joins the squad, after hitting 31 doubles, 23 home runs and 96 RBIs in his lone season in Boston. Blue Jays’ number two prospect Orelvis Martinez will have the opportunity to contribute to the lineup after popping 28 home runs across AA and AAA in 2023.

In his two seasons in Toronto, Kevin Gausman has been one of the premier arms in the AL, leading in strikeouts last season. José Berríos bounced back after a dreadful 2022 season, finishing with a 3.65 ERA and a Gold Glove. Apart from a bad month of April, Chris Bassitt was dominant in 2023, finishing top 10 in AL Cy Young voting. Lefty Yusei Kikuchi has a career season in 2023, finishing with a 3.86 ERA and 181 strikeouts, both career bests. Closer Jordan Romano continues his tremendous run with Toronto, one in which he possesses a 2.29 ERA, 97 saves and two All-Star nominations.

Toronto will again be in the mix in the American League, but will look to get over the hump and win the division.

Tampa Bay Rays
Despite having one of baseball’s lowest payrolls, the Rays have made five consecutive postseason appearances. Though this year might bring the streak to the end, Tampa Bay can never be counted out.

Yandy Díaz put together a career year, leading the American League in batting average, while setting career bests in doubles, home runs and RBIs, leading to an All-Star nod and Silver Slugger award. After bursting onto the scene during the 2020 playoffs and 2021 season, which landed him the AL Rookie of the Year, Randy Arozarena has continued to be a 20-20 threat, while having one of baseball’s best eyes. Third baseman Isaac Paredes had a breakout season, setting career bests in nearly every offensive stat. In his first season as a full time starter, Josh Lowe did not disappoint, proving to be a powerful lefty stick in the lineup. Rays prospects Junior Caminero and Curtis Mead, both of which are in MLB’s top 100 prospects, are expected to play vital roles in the lineup.

After signing the biggest free agent contract with the Rays, Zach Eflin turned in an excellent year, finishing sixth in Cy Young voting. Taj Bradley had a rough rookie year and will look to bounce back. After being dealt in the Tyler Glasnow trade, Ryan Pepiot will have the chance to be a reliable arm in the rotation. Adam Civale was woeful after being dealt from Cleveland last year, but has a chance to start the year with the club. The bullpen just pumps out reliable relievers, with arms like Pete Fairbanks, Jason Adam and Colin Poche doing the late game work.

It doesn’t seem possible to sneakily win 90 or more games, but if there was a team to do it, it would be the Tampa Bay Rays.

Boston Red Sox
Since winning the 2018 World Series, Boston has only made one playoff appearance, losing in the 2021 ALCS. Though the past two years the Red Sox have posted a 78-84 record, Boston is no pushover.

Rafael Devers remains arguably the best left-handed hitter in the game, producing his second Silver Slugger season in 2023. Masataka Yoshida was stellar in the first half, before his production dwindled in the latter half of the season. Triston Casas’ production in the second half catapulted him into AL Rookie of the Year consideration. Left Fielder Jarren Duran was finally able to show his consistency offensively last year, hitting just under .300. Boston’s number five and six prospects Ceddanne Rafaela and Wilyer Abreu will both get the chance to get everyday chances after stellar seasons in the minors.

Third-year starter Brayan Bello improved last season and is projected to be one of Boston’s top arms. Kutter Crawford, similarly to Bello, improved from his numbers in 2022 and will look to continue that trend. Nick Pivetta stayed par for the course, having another solid season with the Sox. Tanner Houck and Garrett Whitlock will look to bounce back after rocky 2023’s, especially with Lucas Giolito expected to miss 2024. In his first season in Beantown, closer Kenley Jansen was sensational, becoming an All-Star for the fourth time and joining the 400 save club.

Boston might not be as competitive as the rest of the teams in the division, but the Sox can’t be taken lightly, otherwise they’ll shock the world.

All stats are from Baseball Reference as of March 13, 2024.