The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

The news site of Marywood University

Marywood Men’s Basketball goes winless in December

Photo credit/ Emma Bernatowicz
Senior guard Trevor Seitz steps up to the line to sink the shot for the Pacers.

Entering last month 5-3, and winners of four of their last five, the Pacers looked to build off their hot start by traveling to Manhattanville College. The Pacers were outscored by one in each half, starting the month with a 68-66 loss. Freshman guard Austin Bausman put up his season high to that point, producing 14 points.

Following the loss, Marywood squared off against its local foes, the King’s College Monarchs. The Pacers owned the first half, taking an eight-point lead into the halftime break 42-34. King’s controlled the second half, leading by four with 20 seconds remaining in the game. A pair of layups from Trevor Seitz and Mason Mendygral forced overtime. The Pacers never led in the overtime period, dropping their second consecutive game, 91-86. Bausman yet again topped his season high, notching 16 points, matched by Mendygral, while Seitz led the Pacers’ scoring with 18.

The Pacers took part in the York College of Pa. Showcase, beginning with a showdown against Randolph-Macon College. Head coach Jon Showers used the opening game of the tournament as an opportunity to empty the bench, seeing a handful of players check in as the Pacers fell 89-53. On day two, the Pacers were pitted against SUNY Poly. The Pacers led for nearly the entire first half, taking a seven-point lead into the break. The offensive efficiency the Pacers possessed in the first half remained behind, as they failed to convert nearly 75% of their shots in the second half, watching their lead disappear and suffering their fourth straight loss of the month, by a final score of 72-67.

The final game was an exhibition against Binghamton University. It was clear early that the Pacers’ lack of size would be their undoing against this Division I opponent, and they failed to pick up a victory in the month, 108-52.

The Pacers’ woeful December sunk their record to 5-7. The team had two double digit scorers, as Seitz led the way with 13 points per game and junior guard Brandon Franko logged 10.7. The Pacers will look to find a few more consistent scorers as their Atlantic East Conference schedule is upon them.

All stats are as of Jan. 4 from MarywoodPacers.com.