Were the Marywood Women’s soccer team able to repeat as Atlantic East Champions?

Photo credit/ Emma Bernatowicz
How did the Pacers finish their 2023 season?

Oct. 4: Home vs. Lancaster Bible College

Following a 3-5-1 September, the Pacers looked to get on the right track as in a matchup with the Lancaster Bible College Chargers. The Chargers had a second minute scoring chance, but failed to convert the early opportunity. This would be a common trend for both teams, as both teams fired off shots that missed the mark, leading to a scoreless first half.

The Pacers opened the second half ripping three shots in the opening three minutes, with Chargers’ keeper Morgan Sendgikoski saving one shot, before another shot went off the crossbar and the third errant shot spoiled the Pacers’ opportunity. It took until the 67th minute for either team to get on the board, when Pacers’ Riley Mulherin netted a shot from just inside the box. The lead was short-lived as the Chargers tied the match on a Kendal Ream 74th minute goal. The Pacers took the lead back seven minutes later, when Mulherin scorched another goal past Sendgikoski to give Marywood the 2-1 victory.

Oct. 7: Home vs. Neumann University

With the Pacers extending their win streak to two, they opened up Atlantic East Conference play, battling the Neumann University Knights. Marywood went on the attack early, ripping three shots in the first five minutes. Neumann goalkeeper Sarah Andreano denied Pacers’ midfielder Josephine Sorce twice, before a shot wide of the net ended the Pacers’ early onslaught. Both the Pacers and Knights combined for three shots for the remaining 40 minutes of the half, with none finding the back of the net.

The offensive drought continued, with both squads combining for only three shots for a large portion of the second half. The Knights were able to break the deadlock when Ebony Arvelo drilled a penalty kick. The lead lasted for a total of two and a half minutes, with Sorce setting up Emily Welsh for the equalizer. Sorce had two scoring chances thwarted by Andreano, leading to a 1-1 draw.

Oct. 11: Home vs. Centenary University

Looking to clinch their first conference victory, the Pacers hosted the Centenary University Cyclones. Marywood’s offense exploded early, with Sorce netting a second minute goal, assisted by Sarah Kretchmer. Kretchmer waited just over a minute before assisting her second goal of the match, this time to Carly Walters. Marywood failed to convert two more shots, before Walters drained her second shot of the game, with Sorce earning the assist. Walters searched for the hat trick, missing a pair of shots. In the 18th minute, Sorce found the back of the net again, with graduate midfielder Kate Kollar-Dye setting it up. Centenary was unable to cut the lead, as the Pacers took a four-goal lead into the break.

Following her quiet first half, Mulherin scored twice in the first four minutes of the second half, assisted by Caroline Walters and Sorce. Marywood filled up the spray chart, unleashing an onslaught of shots but did not net another goal until the 85th minute, when Mulherin earned the hat trick and finalized the Cyclones’ punishment by a final score of 7-0.

Oct. 14: Away vs. Cabrini University

The Pacers hit the road for the first time of the month, facing the Cabrini University Cavaliers. Marywood had a quick chance to score in the third minute, but didn’t capitalize on the early edge. Cabrini keeper Caroline Hassall and Marywood goalie Mila Elash denied every shot sent their way throughout the half, keeping the clean sheet going into halftime.

The clean sheet was first dirtied as Mulherin buried a 46th minute goal. Hassall continued to deny the Pacers, giving the Cavaliers a chance to draw even or take the lead. However, the Marywood defense only yielded two shots on goal, which Elash corralled, extending her clean sheet streak to two consecutive games. The Pacers clinched their second conference win 1-0.

Oct. 18: Home vs. Gwynedd Mercy University

In their home finale, the Pacers played host to the Griffins of Gwynedd Mercy University. The Griffins strangled the Pacers offense, holding them shotless in the first 10 minutes. The Pacers broke the chokehold and rallied off 19 shots, netting a pair of goals from Kollar-Dye and Isabel Shore, taking a 2-0 lead into the halftime break.

Gwynedd Mercy put the Pacers in another offensive rut, surrendering just one shot in the opening 10 minutes of the half. Marywood broke the silence again, ripping 10 more shots in the half, with Mulherin extending her goal streak to three with the third goal for the Pacers. The Griffins got their first shot off in the 80th minute, missing the mark and giving the Pacers’ their third straight shutout, 3-0.

Oct. 21: Away vs. Marymount University

Looking to clinch the top spot in the Atlantic East, Marywood aimed to knock off the Marymount Saints. The Pacers put Marymount goalie Hannah Mockenhaupt to work. Mockenhaupt was up to the challenge, keeping the game scoreless by collecting a trio of saves. Though the Pacers’ offense was stifled, their defense denied the Saints open opportunities, allowing just three shots, with none on goal. Following a failed scoring chance on a 44th minute corner kick, Marywood and Marymount were deadlocked at zero.

Marymount finally earned a proper scoring chance and capitalized when Minnie Morris netted her first goal of the season. Marywood had three more scoring bids, but were denied by Mockenhaupt and the Saints’ defense. After conceding a penalty kick, Laney Pacido made the Pacers pay, doubling the lead. Marywood didn’t get another scoring opportunity, dropping their first conference match, 2-0.

Oct. 25: Away vs. Immaculata University

Following the loss, the Pacers still had an opportunity to earn the top seed in the conference, but they needed a victory against the Immaculata Mighty Macs. The Pacers rallied off five shots in the opening 25 minutes, failing to turn one into a goal. Caroline Walters was able to drill a goal in the 29th minute to give the edge to Marywood. The Pacers took a trifecta of shots, though to no avail. The Mighty Macs last minute scoring chance was foiled, allowing the Pacers to hold a 1-0 lead at the break.

Marywood took just 22 seconds to open the scoring in the second half, with Kollar-Dye assisting Sorce. Kollar-Dye only waited 10 more seconds before assisting her next goal, this time to Mulherin. Mulherin netted three more goals in the following 15 minutes, earning her second hat trick of the month. Colleen O’Brien rallied her first goal as a Pacer to put the cherry on top of the dominant victory, 7-0.

Making Noise in the Playoffs

Oct. 31: Atlantic East Semifinals: #6 Gwynedd Mercy University vs. #1 Marywood University

Just two weeks after their previous matchup, the Pacers were set to host the Gwynedd Mercy University Griffins, who upset Cabrini University, beating them after forcing penalty kicks. Marywood was on the attack early, averaging one shot for every minute and a half through the first 15 minutes. Kollar-Dye connected with the back of the net in the 16th , before Mulherin doubled the lead two minutes later. Mulherin scored again in the 29th minute, before Carly Walters gave the Pacers a four-goal lead 23 seconds later. No more scoring was had by either side, with Marywood dominating going into the break.

After assisting three of the Pacers’ goals in the first half, Sorce scored her own goal, with Mulherin setting her up. Following a dozen unsuccessful shots from the Pacers, Sorce scorched one into the back of the net. Sorce set up Hailey Dwyer in the 85th minute for her fourth assist of the game, making it 7-0, helping the Pacers clinch a chance to win the Atlantic East Conference.

Nov. 4: Atlantic East Finals: #2 Marymount University vs. #1 Marywood University

Ten days after losing their only Atlantic East match, the Pacers were set to face the same team who handed them that loss: the Marymount Saints. Luckily for the Pacers, they were on their home turf for this match. Mulherin wasted no time, rattling two shots, though neither was successful. The Pacers earned five corner kicks throughout the half, but failed to score on the opportunities. Going into the break, the Saints and Pacers were deadlocked at zero.

Marywood earned three more corners in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Again, they failed to convert. The Pacers’ defense forced poor shots from the Saints. Marywood again failed to convert a few additional opportunities. As the clock was winding down, the Pacers had one last chance, but were called offside, leading to overtime.

Both squads were only able to rattle off one shot each in the first overtime period. In the second half of overtime, it was a similar name who sank the Pacers. Morris scored in the 103rd minute to give the Saints the lead. Marywood had one more scoring chance, but Mulherin’s shot was denied by Mockenhaupt. Time expired and the Pacers fell just short of back-to-back Atlantic East Championships, losing 1-0.

For the season:

The Pacers finished the season 9-7-2, going 6-2-1 in October and November. Mulherin netted 21 goals, breaking the Atlantic East Conference record and earning her AEC Player of the Year. Sorce led the conference in assists, setting up 17 goals. She, along with Mulherin, Kretchmer and Carly Walters earned first team All-Conference honors.

All stats are as of Nov. 14 from MarywoodPacers.com