Athlete Spotlight: Alex Russo

Photo credit/ Vincent Goldschmidt

Shot-stopper Alex Russo has dutifully spent the last four years defending Marywood’s net. Russo was initially a football player, but he switched to soccer and has been playing since his youth, though he hasn’t always been a goalkeeper.

“I’ve been playing soccer for eight or nine years, probably started around fifth grade,” Russo said. “I actually started as an outfield player.”

Around the time when Russo started playing soccer, the 2014 World Cup in Brazil was underway. He remembers it fondly, citing it as a reason for why he fell in love with the game.

“I fell in love with Mario Balotelli, who was the forward for the Italian national team, and I was obsessed ever since,” said Russo.

Originally from Sparta, New Jersey, Russo didn’t elect to attend a university near his home. Instead, he made the decision to leave his hometown and spend the next four years of his life over an hour and a half away in another state, studying exercise science here. Russo credits the professors he spoke to with convincing him to attend Marywood.

“Marywood was definitely the most welcoming with open arms of all the choices that I had,” he explained. “I just had a connection with the guys right off the jump from my overnight visit, and I loved the entire faculty and staff and everybody that I met in the exercise science program.”

Russo’s connection with his teammates has led to some of his most memorable experiences at Marywood.

“My favorite memory so far would be some of the wins we’ve dug out away on the road, especially one this past year on Opening Day, with a bunch of new players on our team,” Russo reflected. “I felt super happy knowing that I have faith in the team when it’s my time to go.”

David Chemidlin, former defender for the men’s soccer team, played with Russo for three seasons. When asked about Russo’s character, Chemidlin made nothing but positive comments about the goalkeeper.

“I’d say that ever since I met him, I could tell he was a leader because he was always competitive, the sort of competitive that influenced other people to want to work harder to match his energy,” said Chemidlin. “He always had the drive and determination to motivate other people to match his effort. Overall a great guy and great leader.”

As a leader, Russo plays a large role in creating a dangerous unit to fight against other schools in the Atlantic East Conference. Though it’s not an easy task, leadership comes naturally to him.

“I love to help people, I love being around people, I love talking to people, I consider myself to be a pretty sociable person,” Russo said. “You gotta be a tough captain sometimes, you gotta make the hard decisions, but I feel like making the hard decisions just makes you a better person overall.”

The Pacers enter the second half of the season with a 5-5 record, sitting at .500 through their first 10 outings. With conference play beginning this month, Russo feels that the team is well prepared for any challenges they may face enroute to a conference championship.

“Our team has already gone through a bunch of really, really tough games that have just proven and shown how much character we have,” he explained. “So I have nothing but full, 100% faith in my team this year, and I really do think we can compete for a conference championship.”

With the end of the road in sight, Russo has begun thinking about taking the next steps in his academic career.

“My plan is to take on a two-year master’s program. The whole goal is to be a professional athletic trainer at some sort of sports organization.” He joked, “You gotta start small somewhere, so probably a high school or a college. Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen.”

When Russo leaves his goal box for the last time, he’ll leave behind a legacy of leadership for all Pacer soccer players to follow.

“My goal is just to leave an imprint on Marywood, and I’m hoping I’m doing a pretty good job,” he concluded.